Micro Communities of Interest
What do we have in common? How do we scale education? How do we focus peer learning between members?
The Start Society is constantly developing a series of groups to facilitate connections between professionals in varying niche areas, some of these so called niches are small and rare, others are actually very large, well known and popular. They vary over time and commonly use hashtags, meetup, eventbrite or other tools for co-ordination.
The key long term metric of community success is not merely size, speed or sophistication. Peer learning and hyper-connected Micro Communities of Interest have greater and more resilient wealth and social impact when they are managed by a curated group in an enduring, decentralised, scalable, interdependent manner.
– Pete Cooper, Founder of The Start Society.
General Tech Startup (Entrepreneurs and Enablers)
- StartSoc Public Facebook Group – open to all followers (curated) nationally
- iCentral Coworking – curated community and office space for tech startups
Technology Groups (samples)
- Node.js Australia Group on LinkedIn by StartSoc 300+ members
- Sydney Web Apps Group on Meetup by StartSoc 850+ members
- Health Tech Startups by StartSoc
- The Founder Channel Videos on Facebook Entrepreneur Interviews by StartSoc
- New Technology Sydney Meeting NEW in 2017 focused on cutting edge new topics
- StartSoc Members Only Facebook Group – members please request access
Industry Verticals (sample hashtags)
- Finance Technology (#fintech) – includes trading, banking, investment, payments and the like.
- Food Technology (#foodtech) – including restaurants, ratings, logistics, eating, fresh food, suppliers, marketplaces, catering
- Medical, Health & Wellness Technology (#healthtech) – including a wide variety of related fields
- Sports Technology (#sportstech) – includes sports, health, wellness and the like.
- Travel Tech (#traveltech) – includes airlines, flights, travel agents, hotels, accommodation, concierges and the like.
- More to come
Geographically Defined Segments
- StartSoc Perth Facebook Messenger Group
- Remote and Rural areas are generally referred to as the Regional startup ecosystem