Aspirational enduring values –
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable mad. – George Bernard Shaw.
- Take the long view
Too many people focus on tactics (like making deals, reducing costs, closing deals) – as opposed to the actions (or transactions) that advance us most towards strategic goals. – Ken Marlin
- It is not necessary to fight every battle that presents itself
- Take a stand. Do the right thing for the right reason.
- Be the expert. Leadership must retain operational expertise.
- Know the enemy. Their goals, capabilities and motivations. Don’t mis-estimate, understand.
- Know the terrain, rewards and risks before you start.
- Hubris leads to failed deals and failed strategies.
- Know yourself. Identify and capitalise on your advantages.